Looking for inspiration to start that novel or chapter? Look no further. Here are five opening lines of books you must read.
1. Aeneid – by Virgil – Translation Robert Fitzgerald
I sing of warfare and a man at war.
2. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel – Susana Clarke
Some years ago there was in the city of York a society of magicians.They met upon the third Wednesday of every month and read each other long, dull papers upon the history of English magic.
3. David Copperfield – Charles Dickens
Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o’clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously.
4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s (Philosopher’s) Stone – J.K Rowling
5. Moby Dick – Herman Melville
Call me Ishmael. Some years ago-never mind how long precisely — having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on the shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.